- The Main objective of Designing & Manufacturing of the Quad Bike is to increase the Advancement in the Automobile Field.
- To design a quad that can handle a wider variety of terrain than most other vehicles.
- To design and develop a vehicle that meets all the safety needs according to the norms set by the SFI.
As the name says it all; is a true symbolic word for combining Mother & GOD
- Faculty Advisors:
Prof. S. B. Dhokate (Coordinator / Guide, QBDC)
- Fraternity of Mechanical and Automotive Engineers
- Student Federation of India
About FMAE & SFI:-
Fraternity of Mechanical and Automotive Engineers.
The organizing team of FMAE comprises of individuals with 7-8 years experience in organizing design challenges throughout the nation.
The SFI Foundation, Inc. (SFI) is a non-profit organization established to issue and administer standards for the quality assurance of specialty performance and racing equipment.
Design of Quad:
The following design methodology was used during design:
- Market survey
- Design calculation and iteration
- Modelling and analysis
- Preparation of mock chassis
- Final manufacturing
4130 Chrome Moly Steel is the best suitable material, it we selected over 1018 Steel because 4130 Steel has a greater strength to weight ratio. Along with material selection, tube diameter was also taken into consideration.
Following is the comparison table used for material selection:
Some more highlight on AISI 4130 material:
- The material AISI-4130 (Annealed at 840° C) used in the frame design because of its good weldability, relatively soft and strength as well as good manufacturability.
- AISI 4130 has been chosen for the chassis because it has structural properties that provide a low weight to strength ratio. Presence of chromium makes it a corrosion resistive material. 1 inch diameter tube with a thicker wall is used. It is assured by analysis in ANSYS simulation software.
- Different cases of impacts were considered for the analysis of the chassis:
SUSPENSION AND STEERING UNIT
- SUSPENSION UNIT : FRONT SUSPENSION :
- For the front suspension, Double arm wishbone type suspension is selected. It provides specious mounting position, load bearing capacity besides better camber recovery.
- Front Unequal Non-Parallel double wishbone suspension.
- The tire need to gain negative camber in a rolling situation, keeping the tire flat on the ground.
- Coil specifications:
- Wheel geometry:
Honda CBR250R: Pro-link swing arm
- In case of rear mono-shock, directly bolted to the swing arm & then to frame without any linkage. That causes the forces not directed along the axis of shock, where the linkage would place the forces perfectly in the line with shock.
- Linkage changes the movement arm or leverage ratio, so that shock acts on swing arm differently. That runs spring with low spring constant & linkage provides mechanical advantage.
- Also without any linkage, to create a change in effective spring rate as a function of swing arm travel is to play with spring coil.
- But with the help of linkage spring rate easily turn & ride height easily adjust.
- It also provides mass centralization because it places the suspension unit close to the center of the motorcycle. Also reduce impact transfer to the frame.
- The analysis of swing arm used in the quad is shown below:
- We need a steering system that would be easy to maintain, provide easy operation, excellent feedback, cost efficient and compatible to driver’s ergonomics. Thus, we have selected trapezoidal linkage as steering mechanism for our Quad bike.
- We have increased our front and rear track width to improve the lateral stability according to off-road conditions.
- Rear track width is kept slightly less than front track width to create a slight over steer in tight cornering situation which allows easier.
Type of steering
Trapezoidal 4 bar linkage
Static weight on front wheel
Static weight on rear wheel